Dubai is the ultimate destination to ‘bling in the new year’! If you’ve already made the right albeit pricey decision to visit the city during the NYE holidays, I can promise it’ll be a night to remember. One reason will be the traffic you’ll most certainly encounter on the way to wherever you’re going (and back from), but another will be the truly awesome shindigs that many of the city’s restaurants and bars have in store for you.
So in an effort to ensure you have a practically perfect NYE in every way, I’m sharing a few of my personal recommendations on where to celebrate in the city PLUS tips on how to mentally and physically prepare yourself.
My 2 fils on where to spend NYE 2019 in Dubai
1- Hotel Cartagena - JW Marriott Marquis
What to expect: A night of dancing and epic indoor views of the Burj Khalifa fireworks.
Timings: 8:30pm to 12am
Details: Special menu including wood roasted lamb shoulder and surf & turf with foie gras. Guests can join the Cartagena dancers as they dance into the wee hours of the night.
Price: 395 AED food and soft drinks package; 495 AED food and house beverages with sparkling grapes; 795 AED food and champagne.
Website: http://www.hotelcartagena.ae/ ; Contact no.: +971 45601799.
2- Miss Lily’s - Sheraton Grand
What to expect: Great music, food, and vibes. No fireworks view.
Timings: 8pm to 2am
Details: A fun-filled Jamaican evening with an underground feel, great food, and an ‘am I really in Dubai?’ vibe.
Price: 250 AED food and soft drinks package; 390 AED food and house beverages.
Website: http://www.misslilys.com/locations/dubai/; Contact no.: +971 43562900.
3- McGettigans - Madinat Jumeirah
What to expect: Great Burj Al Arab fireworks view from outdoor terrace.
Timings: 8pm to 12:30am
Details: Indoor Party Package: unlimited house beverages & delicious pass-around bites; Terrace Dinner Package: includes pass-around bites with free flowing beverages including bubbles.
Price: 399 AED Indoor Party Package; 549 AED Terrace Dinner Package.
Website: http://www.mcgettigans.com/madinat-dubai/; Contact no.: +971 44470219.
4- Platinum Heritage - Desert
What to expect: : A magical evening in the desert. Flaming Sands of Arabia fire show and city fireworks view from a distance. No house beverages.
Timings: 2:30pm to 1:30am
Details: New Year’s Eve in the Dubai Desert 2019 package including a 22K Gold NYE Commemorative Coin, wildlife drive through Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve in a vintage Land Rover, sunset falcon show, dinner, and entertainment.
Price: 995 AED per adult; 895 AED per child.
Website: https://www.platinum-heritage.com/; Contact no.: +971 44409827.
5- Look Up – La Ville Hotel & Suites
What to expect: : A phenomenal view of the Burj Khalifa fireworks by a cosy and chill pool bar.
Timings: 8pm to 1am
Details: Ringing in the New Year Package: boundless canapes and house beverages, live entertainment, glass of bubbly at midnight.
Price: 650 AED per person.
Website: https://www.livelaville.com/dining/lookup/index.aspx; Contact no.: +9714 4033111.
Tips for celebrating NYE in Dubai
1) Book your NYE seats and tables early in advance. For one, you might get a better deal. But also, many venues do sell out. My advice: book the closest venue to your accommodation.
2) Expect traffic and large crowds. Keep in mind, NYE falls on a weekday. So, many of the city’s residents will be rushing to leave work before making their way out again. Also, lots of tourists in December, so there may be significant waiting times and lines.
Make sure to top up your metro NOL card days in advance to avoid delays.
3) Carry cash. Last thing you want is the only ATM in the area not working, and you running around cashless.
4) It may not feel like winter yet with 22 °C weather, but I promise it does get chilly at night. Especially if you’re spending the night outside. So grab a jacket.
5) Ladies: Best thing I’ve ever done was carry a pair of flip flops with me to the venue. If you end up regrettably having to walk back to your accommodation, your feet will thank you.
Please note that the above packages and prices have been obtained directly from the venues. Please contact the venues for more information.
Hi! I'm Nada. A Dubai bred expat & founder of Wander With, a tour guide company in Dubai. I want to show you just why, I and many others who live here, love this city.